Saturday, October 14, 2006

The queen of make-do

My dirty little secret: I can't sew. But I always manage to make do.

I want to protect the glossy wood floors, so we're instituting a no-shoes policy indoors. Thus the need for a seat for shoe removal and then a depository for the shoes. We thought we might build our own bench and box. We looked at a spiffy ($250) entry piece at Sam's Club. Then we remembered a toy box still hanging around my mom's house. It just fit the niche between cabinet and door.

I wanted to perk it up with a little color. I still had the upholstered seat I made for our first apartment, using a salvaged naugahyde cushion. I "recovered" with a cinnamon red drapery panel for the foyer of the second house. I was happy to press it into service again. I unfolded my masking-tape seam and sawed off the excess foam. Pretend like you're wrapping a gift, and neatly tucked ends don't look too awful. (Having trouble uploading the after photo)
At least it's quick!

3 comments:

Robin said...

You are amazing. So resourceful and a great way to make do.

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

Neat idea!

Anonymous said...

Looks great! How handy to be able to go "shopping" at mom's house.

And I'm excited to try the Briwax on our dining room table scratches...resulting from using it for son's first birthday family dinner prior to purchasing any type of table pad. Oops!