Thursday, March 29, 2007

More dumpster art

His interest was piqued after reading Stuart's Cape--the story of a junk-loving hero--fifteen times in a row.

I thought it might be a problem when he showed off his "new" backpack at preschool enrichment class. "My mom got it out of the dumpster!" he announced with pride.

Now there's no doubt: I've created a junker.

We rode along on our way to the library when a shriek broke through my Morning Edition stupor:
"Mom! Stop! Mom! You have to get it for me, you just have to!"
It was trash day. Against one can leaned a badly framed space poster, circa 1981.

"Are you sure you really, really have to have it?" I asked, jerking our wagon to the curb. I should have known. He brought the free treasure straight into his bedroom, where it dirtied the carpet with its unmatted, faux-wood grime.

"I wish that rocket had red smoke shooting out of its boosters," he mused, studying the poster yesterday.
I couldn't play LEGOs one minute more. "Why not make some fire?" I asked. "Let's get the paints!"

If your child is intimidated by composing a whole scene, let them paint OVER an existing picture as a framework.
By the time a preschooler adds his own colors and wobbly brush strokes...
you'll be looking at an original "work of art"!

Andrew and I love our messy art projects. For more "kid art" posts, browse the Art Room category on our sidebar!

17 comments:

Maggie said...

My children are all about "rescuing" stuff from the trash pile. From golf clubs to furniture. I think you have a big success with that picture. It looks great!

Hallie Holland said...

He is so creative! Hmmm....he must have a really creative mama....

Queen of Carrots said...

That is such a great idea. I'll have to keep that in mind for another year or two down the road.

Kelly said...

I LOVE it!!! The art projects you do with Andrew are such an inspiration for me to try with my own little guys when they get big enough. He should have his own Etsy Artist shop or something :)

Anonymous said...

Hello. Let me tell you I love your blog. You have a beautiful family. I am a grandmother of 4 and a day care provider for 10. Your ideas that you share with your children are wonderful. I hope you know that your children are very lucky to have such a loving involved mother and father in their life. I know you feel blessed, it shows in your writings. May God bless. Roxie in Texas

It's a Mom Thing said...

Oh my gosh! I am amazed once again at his creativity and skill. I love that picture and it will make a great addition to his room! Awesome work, Andrew!!!

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

I LOVE it! What creativity! Yes, I've created a junk loving, thift store junkie myself ;) "Don't you think that would look so good with a good coat of paint on it" ;)

Lori - Queen of Dirty Laundry said...

What is it about motherhood that elevates preschool and elementary school projects to "artwork?" I have a stack of "paintings" saved because I truly believe that they're masterpieces!

Monica Wilkinson said...

Wow! That is great! And, the price was definietly right!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, and what a fun idea! You have a very talented son!
www.saversadvice.com

Mom2fur said...

Wow, wish I'd known this when mine were little! And I have to say that Andrew is quite an artist. I like the new version much, much better than the old one!

DonnaB said...

I think he will be a famous artist someday!

Luke and Valerie said...

He really has talent, Meredith. What a blessing!
:)

Alexandra said...

Great idea! Ds also gets intimidated by a balnk canvas. I usually outline for him, but I never thought to paint over an existing picture. I'll keep this in mind.

That picture would look cute on a t-shirt or mouse pad. I've thought about adding a Cafepress.com to my sidebar for ds's art...just for fun.

Robin said...

I want to be a mom like you.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Gini (Hallquist) Young said...

Seriously! That is a fantastic idea! I'll definitely be using that in my house! I actually recently painted over an existing painting in my house. I'll be posting on that soon.

Paula said...

What a WONDERFUL idea! I am going to have to trackback to this on my site!!! We are the same type people. Yesterday I saw a HUGE collection of garbage bags and went up and rang the doorbell to ask what was in them. She said boy clothes and toys and goodwill was coming ot get them, but I could go through and take waht I wanted! I got a all wooden toy box (huge enough for my three year old to sleep in!), lots of boy clothes and toys, a microwave, a huge decorative painting, a hand held dust buster, wool sweaters for me, and a plastic drawer organizer! Not to mention that later, she had more stuff to give away, and rather than call or donate to goodwill she came to my house! Another bag of boy clothes and a toddler car seat!!! WOOHOO!!!!