Monday, July 02, 2007

How to make sugar-free cole slaw

I made sugar-free cole slaw for our family reunion this weekend. I prefer vinegar based slaws for picnics, to reduce the chance of spoilage. At $1.29 a head, cabbage is another frugal standby.

I adapted this tart-and-tangy version from The Nashville Cookbook (1976). One large head of cabbage makes at least 8 servings. Doubled, the two-cabbage version filled my largest mixing bowl to the brim.

Invest in a food processor if you cook from scratch often. My used-once Kitchenaid cost $20 at a yard sale. Fresh chopped cole slaw tastes better and costs less.


If I'm making a creamy slaw, I use the shredding disc for thin ribbons of cabbage. For vinegar slaws, I prefer a thin dice. Cut one head cabbage into quarters. "Pulse" to an even chopped texture in small batches.

Dice one green pepper and one small onion after you empty the food processor. (I added a yellow pepper to my doubled batch for color.)

Now for the dressing. Bring the following ingredients to a boil:
  • 1 cup vinegar (just pennies from my giant jug!)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup Splenda (or 3/4 cup sugar)

Pour the still-hot dressing over the cabbage and stir. Refrigerate for several hours. My doubled batch needed 2 bowls for adequate mixing, but the cole slaw condensed overnight. The turmeric gives this slaw a yellow color.

2 comments:

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

I love coleslaw! My favorite version is from The Mitford Reader Cookbook. I think it's called "Ray's Coleslaw." It's a lovely mix of mayo and cider vinegar and just a little bit of sugar. And it's a great topping for fish tacos!

Anonymous said...

I'll second that thought. I LOVE coleslaw, too. You've made me hungry for it, so I'll have to make some tomorrow! But I don't have a food processor, so it will mean lots of chopping!!
Susan