Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Pumpkin pie playdough recipe

In checking my baking supplies for the holiday sales, I found an very old bottle of pumpkin pie spice and some cream of tartar leftover from my trip to the Mennonite market.

Don't you just love Google? Within minutes I found a cool recipe for homemade pumpkin pie playdough from this site:

5 1\2 Cups Flour
2 Cups Salt
8 teaspoons Cream of Tartar
3\4 Cup Oil
1 Container (1 1\2 ounces) Pumpkin Pie Spice
4 Cups Water
(I omitted the yellow and red food coloring.)

The original instructions were unclear. I combined all the ingredients (more or less) in a medium saucepan, stirring at medium heat. The mixture will begin to clump. Keep stirring.

Remove from heat when the mixture changes from a batter-with-lumps consistency to something that looks like brown sugar and/or peanut butter. Pour onto floured surface to cool. Ours was still sticky in places, but kneading with additional flour evened the texture.

The recipe makes enough to fill a 1/2 gallon ice cream carton (or its Tupperware equivalent.)

This was my first successful attempt at cooked playdough, and I was very pleased with its smooth feel. And the smell? Heavenly! Make sure you have some real pumpkin pie for later.

You can see how I packaged the playdough for giving here.

More recipes and neat ideas at Shannon's Works-For-Me-Wednesday!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

VERY cool idea!! I make our daughter's playdough ... she LOVES it. I don't know what it is, but I think it's BETTER than the stuff you buy in the stores! It DOES make a TON though (but it's good for like 3 months), so I keep a couple of her old playdough containers handy to put some in, then store the rest in tupperware.
Never thought of adding a spice to it to make it smell good though. That's COOL!

Amy said...

We make homemade playdough here and I love it. It lasts so much longer than the store-bought stuff!

I will definitely be trying this recipe- it sounds wonderful!

Unknown said...

I love the pic of the kids making this -- it's organised chaos, just like at my house (but fun!)

Donna-Jean Breckenridge said...

Wonderful idea - and I love the picture! Wish there was smell-a-blog :-)

Monica Wilkinson said...

What a lovely idea! And, I love how you packaged the rest for the neighbor! So clever. Happy Thanksgiving!

Liisa said...

Thank you for sharing this idea! I wish all recipes had such descriptive instructions.

Blessings,
Liisa

Anonymous said...

What a fun recipe! Thanks for sharing. Your children are certainly making precious memories.

I overbought cinnamon 3 YEARS AGO, obviously no longer pungent enough for baking. We incorporated huge amounts of it into salt dough for my daughter's bas relief geography project. Between the Cinnamon Great Plains and the Cocoa Rocky Mountains, her class was drooling!

Happy Thanksgiving,

deb meyers

Kara said...

What fun. We'll have to try this!

Amy said...

This looks like such fun! I am saving the recipe for when my little one is old enough to realize playdough is not a culinary experience ;o)

Anonymous said...

Just made a batch and it turned out lovely, just as you described! I, too, had an old container of pumpkin pie spice -- much to old to use in pumpkin pie. I now prefer to blend my own spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, mace & cloves) for pumpkin pie, anyways, so it was a good way to use something up. The kids will be thrilled when they come down after quiet time, today! Thanks for sharing!
Susan in Manitoba

Nicola said...

great gift idea, thank you.

Anonymous said...

Very cool!! I've been wanting to make playdoh anyway.

mama k said...

I just love this idea! I linked back to this post here:
http://mamaknj.blogspot.com/2007/12/cheap-and-easy.html
I just made my first playdough with kool-aid and it turned out awesome!